Section I Use of English
Directions： Read the following text. Choose the best word（s） for each numbered blank and mark A， B， C， and D on ANSWER SHEET 1 （10 points）
By 1830 the former Spanish and Portuguese colonies had become independent nations. The roughly 20 million __1__ of these nations looked __2__ to the future. Born in the crisis of the old regime and Iberian Colonialism， many of the leaders of independence __3__ the ideas of representative government， careers __4__ to talent， freedom of commerce and trade， the __5__ to private property， and a belief in the individual as the basis of society， __6__ there was a belief that the new nations should be sovereign and independent states， large enough to be economically viable and integrated by a __7__ set of laws.
On the issue of __8__ of religion and the position of the church，__9__ ，there was less agreement __10__ the leadership. Roman Catholicism had been the state religion and the only one __11__ by the Spanish crown，__12__ most leaders sought to maintain Catholicism __13__ the official religion of the new states， some sought to end the __14__ of other faiths. The defense of the Church became a rallying __15__ for the conservative forces.
The ideals of the early leaders of independence were often egalitarian， valuing equality of everything. Bolivar had received aid from Haiti and had __16__ in return to abolish slavery in the areas he liberated. By 1854 slavery had been abolished everywhere except Spain's __17__ colonies. Early promises to end Indian tribute and taxes on people of mixed origin came much __18__ because the new nations still needed the revenue such policies __19__ Egalitarian sentiments were often tempered by fears that the mass of the population was __20__ self-rule and democracy.
1. [A] natives [B] inhabitants [C] peoples [D] individuals
2. [A] confusedly [B] cheerfully [C] worriedly [D] hopefully
3. [A] shared [B] forgot [C] attained [D] rejected
4. [A] related [B] close [C] open [D] devoted
5. [A] access [B] succession [C] right [D] return
6. [A] Presumably [B] Incidentally [C] Obviously [D] Generally
7. [A] unique [B] common [C] particular [D] typical
8. [A] freedom [B] origin [C] impact [D] reform
9. [A] therefore [B] however [C] indeed [D] moreover
10. [A] with [B] about [C] among [D] by
11. [A] allowed [B] preached [C] granted [D] funded
12. [A] Since [B] If [C] Unless [D] While
13. [A] as [B] for [C] under [D] against
14. [A] spread [B] interference [C] exclusion [D] influence
15. [A] support [B] cry [C] plea [D] wish
16. [A] urged [B] intended [C] expected [D] promised
17. [A] controlling [B] former [C] remaining [D] original
18. [A] slower [B] faster [C] easier [D] tougher
19. [A] created [B] produced [C] contributed [D] preferred
20. [A] puzzled by [B] hostile to [C] pessimistic about [D] unprepared for
負責人：?不詳 ?電話：?5572523 ?傳真：? ?EMAIL:? ?聯系地址:?不詳 ?郵政編碼:? ?公司網站：http:// 幼兒園（早教機構）簡要介紹： ? 大慶寺村幼…...